SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index SoundChasm and Slim Volume
A forum for writing, recording and performance

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speel Check

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregBell
Site Admin

Location: A great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Speel Check Reply with quote

Gang,
I just noticed something on my PC, and that is I'm getting a red, squiggly line under misspelled words (as a matter of fact, I misspelled misspelled) as I post. I think this must have to do with the latest Firefox update I just got, because it's never happened before, and it's happening in every forum I post at. The great news is that I can right-click and correct, just like in Word.

I'm at Firefox 2.0.0.4. It's got to be the browser. Finally, an update I can care about! Smile
SushiFugue
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a particularly brand new feature, but it might be enabled now by default. If any of you have a recent Firefox build you can enable it by going to Tools -> Options, click Advanced and enable "Check my spelling as I type"

You can also simply right click a text input field and choose "Spell check this field" rather than having the option turned on for every single text box.

I could go on for 8 pages about little Firefox tricks, I have contributed to the code base since 2002, but one of my favorites is the ability to add keyword searches. If you right click a search field of some sort (like Google, or your favorite thesaurus site) you can choose "Add a keyword for this search"

Then just put in a name and a keyword, after this you may use the keyword in your URL/address bar, so instead of loading up a search site you can type something like "google soundchasm" or "wiki greg bell" and it will automatically query the site with your search strings.

Might sound complicated at first glance but it is a huge time saver.
GregBell
Site Admin

Location: A great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sushi,
It's good to know you're lurking here to keep us oldsters in check with with all this new-fangled software. It's come a long way from doing sorts, math and arrays in FORTRAN... I don't know how the feature got turned on, but I'm pleased as punch.

Hey, I think I'm following instructions, but my search is returning a search for "%s". OK, wait a minute, I get it. Right-click in the google search bar, type in soundchasm or something, then in the URL bar, type "google soundchasm" and presto. I got it. It does make a bookmark in your bookmarks.

Hey, one other question. I'd love to be able to protect cookies. Right now, I delete the ones I don't want while saving the ones of the forums I go to all the time. Has anybody got that together? I know I can do exceptions, but I'd love to say "delete cookies" but have it save the dozen important ones.
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregBell wrote:
I'd love to say "delete cookies" but have it save the dozen important ones.

I SECOND THAT EMOTION!

And good to hear from you again, Sushi "Ramen Train" Fugu Fugue. Very Happy
SushiFugue
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, two things of note here, one is that %s is the variable that inserts the search string into a URL, if you get back a %s search it's either blank input or a messed up URL of some sort. Also, the whole keyword thing can be added to ANY bookmark. If you right click one of your bookmarks and put in a keyword, you can then load it with the keyword alone. So you could just type "sc" and hit enter to load the soundchasm site. I prefer to rebel against convention though, so to get to the forums I have to type out "soundchasmforumswherethereistalkingandstuffgoingon"

Side note here that if you do get in the habit of just using keywords in the address bar, you can remove the other search field by going to View>Toolbars>Customize.

I'm afraid I can't help with the cookie pruning problem, I looked high and low for any extensions that might let you do that but I found nil. The only thing I can suggest is to disable cookies altogether, and then allow/except only the handful of sites that you trust. But I can understand that not being the best solution, since for some reason it has become common theme to require absolutely useless cookies to view even the simplest of static pages in many cases.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: