SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index SoundChasm and Slim Volume
A forum for writing, recording and performance

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crazy?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sysop
Beast Friend
Beast Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Crazy? Reply with quote

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070708/NEWS01/707080343/1006

As if chasing down old grandmothers and poor college students wasn't enough, now the established music industry wants to make small clubs pay for live performers playing cover songs!? Mad

Quote:
One coffee-shop owner told musicians they can only perform their own songs from now on. ... A restaurant owner who doesn't even offer live music was approached for payment for having the TV on while the Monday Night Football theme played. And if the owners pay up to one licensing company, all of the others start harassing them, calling four times a day, demanding payment too. It sounds like they don't even check whether any copyright violations occurred, they're just sending bills to any business that may or may not have live music.
GregBell
Site Admin

Location: A great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, this is a sticky wicket. Norton's gave up live music for this reason, and it might have played into the Nite Owls problems too. When I was 18, I was a dishwasher in a restaurant that had a bar, and the bar had duos playing. ASCAP/BMI stopped in for their fees, and the owner asked what songs he had to pay for. Every song the guy mentions, the owner would reply that we don't play that song here. The rep left empty-handed.

The first major issue I can think of is that an artist deserves to get paid if his stuff is used for profit. WHO needs to pay seems murky to me. HOW he gets paid is murkier. I'd think at best that ASCAP/BMI/SESAC are like bloated charities that get called out in the press from time to time, with massive overhead and bloated salaries. From the fees charged a club, which artist gets a nickel? All of them? I don't know anybody who knows how this works.

Secondly, this is a fundamental irony. The small places that need cover bands to draw 100 people in are less likely to be able to afford the fees. The successful clubs that hire national acts are NOT hiring cover bands!!

If I wanted to think about this in any context, I'd prefer that the roles ASCAP/BMI/SESAC play be contracts for let based on the percentage of collections that make it to the writers. If someone can more efficiently channel greater royalties to the writers, they should have the contract.

If I agreed with charging clubs fees for live music (and I don't think I do), I'd rather see the patron pay 50 cents to send to the licensing companies.

Finally, this is a matter of law, and if we don't like it, we have to get elected representatives to change it. Good luck w/o a lobbyist or 50.

Crazy, crazy topic Sysop. Thanks!
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I s'pose ASCAP, etc., are only upping their "enforcement" in the shadow of the RIAA stuff. It's stupid. Every band in the universe that you have ever heard of was born out of cover bands. Elvis, Beatles, you name it. As a musician, it's how you learn. For the music biz and consumer, it's where all new popular music comes from, kids learning from playing covers. How discouraging...far fewer cover bands and clubs for them.

Payment from recordings, radio play, broadcast, yeah go get 'em. Shaking down clubs is bull.

Confused Evil or Very Mad Question Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
GregBell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My band The Buzzcats just got a weird shock. We did a six song demo at my place, and we posted the MP3s on the band website. I swear to God withing 48 hours somebody from Harry Fox had written in the suggestion box advising us we better have the mechanical licensing in order. NUTS! How the heck did they do that? Of course, the songs aren't for sale.

Quote:
If you plan to sell or otherwise profit from the recording of other artist's original and copyrighted material, please insure that you are in royalty compliance by obtaining the the proper mechanical license from each artist you have recorded.

Each publisher defines their own royalty rate and it is up to you to make sure you have paid them proper royalties in order to avoid legal action.

You can find information on how to obtain mechanical licenses and royalty information at: www.harryfox.com.

Thank you.
03 - Name & E-mail address? = info@harryfox.com

Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Harry, the word is "ensure." Secondly, guess I pulled my cover tunes off the Slim site in time. Ninthly, I 'spose kickass spiders can be sent on song name patrol. I'm sure you thought of taking the tunes down for a few days, then repost with the songs links as swirly graphic letters. It'll either work or bring jackboots in the night.

hey, what'syour band site URL?
GregBell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.buzzcatsband.com/

I guess it had to cruise the song titles on the web page, or the artist names.

I bet we're going to lose this one. I still can't believe it.

Hey, regarding insure/ensure - I mixed it up with somebody over this once, and my final conclusion was that the words are interchangeable. Now affect and effect, them's fightin' words...

It's a funny story I'll tell you sometime.
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensure is also a diet drink! It's a matter of taste. Ensure is by definition 100% correct in the context of the Foxy letter -- "making cirtin of" and suchlike. With insure, usually the first several definitions given are to do with payment/insurance (not royalties, actually insuring something), with an "ensure-like" definition last. So ensure would be more pure, therefore healthier to drink and more Aryan to boot.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: