SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index SoundChasm and Slim Volume
A forum for writing, recording and performance

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Set List Making Software??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregBell
Site Admin

Location: A great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Set List Making Software?? Reply with quote

Hey Sushi or Sysop,
Idea
Here's an idea that came to me as I was working on a setlist for the BuzzCats. Both Word and Excel are a PITA to shift the position of a tune around in. You have to make a placeholding spot to move the first song to, and then cut the second song into its place, then move the first song into the second place, clean up, blah, blah, I hate it.

Wouldn't it be great if all the songs could be objects, and if you needed to move a song around, you could simply drag it up or down. Need to move a tune from 3rd set to 1st? Just drag it.

The song objects could be color coded to represent who sings them, or fast or slow, blues or rock, etc. An object could be a compound object containing the title and the key. And no matter what color the object was, it would print in BLACK INK and a legible font no matter how stupid the musician is.

This could be a cool application that could take data entry of song, author, decade, style, tempo, band lead singer or other user-defined fields (like who suggested the song, when it was learned, how often a song gets played, and even the length of song!). You could tell it how many sets you want, and it would display the song universe on the right, create empty sets on the left, and you could drag from right to left, removing the object from the universe. Delete the object from the set, and it goes back in the universe. There could be an option to archive songs so they're not in the current universe. It could flag songs over two years old. The setlist could be printed for the gig, or output as a datafile to send to the other members. In case somebody notices all the same tempos in a cluster, or all high keys for a vocalist, they open it up, drag some stuff around, and send it back. It would print footnotes for the name and date of the gig, and always keep a copy of every setlist you made.

Could a single seat license be $10, and be able to add members for $5 each?

Can this be done? Do I need to call Kali in Calcutta?

I think this is a brain wave. I also know there's no money in selling to musicians. Wink
sysop
Beast Friend
Beast Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Re-invent the wheel Reply with quote

Without re-inventing the wheel, I think maybe someone else had your same ideas, Greg, and created a program which sounds mostly (has drag and drop re-ordering of the set list) if not exactly like what you need. And best of all it's freeware (knowing he might have a tough time getting musicians to pay for it)! Wink There's probably a slight learning curve to it, but it seems to come with good documentation in the PDF user guide.

It's called SetMaker and can be downloaded here for OSX or Windows:

http://www.sweetwater.com/download/setmaker.php

Quote:
You see, I struggled for a long time trying to find a way to quickly and easily make set lists that I could take to my gigs. I experimented with different database programs and spreadsheets, but nothing really seemed to get the job done quite the way I needed it. So finally I approached a couple friends and we worked together to design a custom program that met my specific needs. Iím thrilled with it and now Iím offering it to you, free of charge.

SetMaker is useful for any musician who is looking for a better way to manage their collection of songs. It keeps track of song titles, styles, tempos, lengths, and more. Itís also THE FASTEST way to create and print out Set Lists for any occasion. Whether youíre a gigging musician, a worship leader, a DJ, or a music director, SetMaker can help you organize your songs and assist you in picking the best songs for your performance.

Iíve found SetMaker to be a great help to me personally and I hope you find it to be useful as well.
- Chuck Surack
GregBell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on it!!

What kind of genius are you, anyway?
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late for the party but I was going to suggest Microsoft OneNote. I had the same irritating problem with making detailed job lists at work -- can't easily drag a job up and down the list, etc, in Excel. OneNote lets me do that plus add checkboxes and other crap, font formatting, highlighting. And it apparently does 17 other things but I don't care.

BUT! Setmaker may be even better for my day job! Laughing
GregBell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whale Sur, the Setmaker program is just inches from greatness, and by that, I mean it's fatally flawed. But it could have been great! It makes a list, indeed, but it has what I consider to be printing issues, because it won't print a song AND the key. It knows the key all right, though. I'd love for it to print song, key and lead vocal.

The second problem is that there are no user-defined columns or flexibility to add custom columns. When I get a song selection, I record who selected it and whether or not we have an MP3 and what decade it's from. My Excel sheet captures a lot more useful detail (IMO).

The third problem is one I've heard of (I think) and that is the application won't let me select what font (or magnification) I want to work in. I think it's 8 pt. type, and my resolution is 1920x1024.

The fourth issue is that it is designed to work on one set at a time. I like to make a set based on what I'm seeing in the preceding or subsequent sets. It needs a "show" option, or at least an automatic page break if "song=set*".

For the record, being able to slide a song around was fantastic.
gregston
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Another Set List Creation Program Reply with quote

I was just about to upload my new program SetList Creator when I did a final search and found this post and the Setmaker program. I thought mine was unique but is anything ever??
Anyway, I'd be glad of anyfeed back about my program, if anyone cares to download it and try it out. It's Windows only, here:
http://www.studio-soft.co.uk/setlist/setlist.shtml

Mine is slightly different from SetMaker in concept in that it tries to randomly generate a list based on criteria you set, but it can still be used manually (but not by dragging, yet...)

Greg Chapman
gc@freeuk.com
GregBell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg, glad to have you stop by. I'd have responded to you sooner if it wasn't the holiday. Our dear forum is in the middle of a deep sleep, and I'm not sure what decade it's going to wake up in, beard and all.

I've been using my Excel solution for a year now, and I'm probably wedded to it at this point. Ive got so much data captured in Excel that it'd be a commitment to switch over to any other system. It's nice to know that making a setlist is a chore on both sides of the pond.

I went to your site and looked at your developments, and you make some cool stuff. I'd be happy to try your program out, but I'll wait for the holiday hubbub to subside somewhat.

Honestly, your idea of random generation is one I support. There are songs that I believe are first, second and third set type songs, but it's never as important as I think it is. And you have "conditions", which I really like.

I think the first thing I'll be checking for is the ability to import data!! Smile
gregston
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: SetList Reply with quote

Hi Greg
I'm quite keen to get some feedback on my program, and also to check that my new registration method works, so if you like, when you've got time, click on the register button, but don't then make any payment. I'll send you the number anyway and you can import a few songs and give it a whirl...?

Cheers
I hope your weather is better than here...
Crying or Very sad
Greg
GregBell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Greg. I did download and install the program, and I worked for a few minutes with the test data. When It dawned on me it needed to be registered before I could import songs, I'm sure I got distracted and went on to other things.

I'll do what you suggest and give it a spin. It'll be interesting to see what it does with with my list.

What if this program is a genius?

BTW, the weather here has finally become semi-awesome. Instead of 90 degrees and 90% humidity, we've got a few days of 85 and 50.
setlister
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: SetLister Set List Creation Software Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

I've created a program called SetLister, which allows you to create a list of songs in your band's repertoire and then easily create set lists using drag and drop. You can also change the order of the songs in a set list with a drag and drop, and full PDF support of set lists is included so you can e-mail a copy of a set list to all of your band members. You can download a 30-day fully-functional free trial version by going to www.setlister.net and clicking the Free Download link. There is a Help system included which will help you get started using the software. Try it out, and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: