SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index SoundChasm and Slim Volume
A forum for writing, recording and performance

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Into Vocal Character

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassnyerface
Beast Friend
Beast Friend

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Into Vocal Character Reply with quote

I thought an interesting subject to discuss is the way Mark gets into (vocal) character on some songs. Most vocals are the "real" him, boyish sound that it is for an old man, but some vocals are a vocal character developed to fit the song. They is way hip (yes, way). Example the Cave In on the Bayou song. He gets into character. A sort of lost art if you will. Let's discuss the roots of this. Peter Gabriel? Frank Zappa? Firesign Theatre? Musical theatre in general? Prey, tell. Let's also discuss how this could be more utilized, a schtick in a schtick if you will. How can it be exploited even. Or named... what would you call the act of doing this?

And talk about Cave In, it is so f'ing ridiculously funny! The listener hears "Cave in on the Bayou," and the listener thinks, "What? Cave in on the Bayou?" Then "Yeah, that's what I said." This is some funny caca. But, importantly, a character was created to pull this off. AND the music is the bomb!

Let's call it Character Singing. Like character acting, sort of...?

Hello out there!

Thank you Cleveland!
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BIYFAIM, Very Happy

and thank you for the kind words! I like variety, that's my bane. Many voices, not good for career! Many styles, ditto! What the fungus, I can only care for about 9 minutes a day. If I had to write 20 Superbeetles I'd fire myself immediately.

I came up with one line "there's a cave-in on the bayou" to go with some music I'd made, 'cuz it made me giggle at the physical absurdity. The character just seemed like the right voice.

The roots of it are: growing up amongst talented humorists like yourself who liked to make each other spew! And years of gigging in cover bands and trying to sound like the artist being covered.

Speaking of Zappa, Greg can sound uncannily like Zappa! We should send you our cover of Sly's "Sing A Simple Song"

Last edited by Slim Volume on Mon May 28, 2007 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bassnyerface
Beast Friend
Beast Friend

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She-it, Greg can sound like anyone, Zappa, Hendrix, Jimmy Page and more, the list is endless. His work on these CD's is just about everything guitar, every type of guitar and handily excecuted as any seasoned studio player. Like getting into vocal character (see, we're still on the same subject), he got into guitar character.

The antithesis? We all need a trademark sound, too. So when people hear it, they know it's you. The classic example is when you hear a note and a half of Santana, you know who it is. And he still uses different sounds and tones, too. But he does one character: himself.

For myself, I've developed characters I like and I'm sticking with them. I just hammer my she-it into other people's she-it, whether it calls for James Brown Style Bass or Jaco. That seems to be the two roles I play: I'm a retard and bebop. And I put I'm a retard in the bebop and bebop in the I'm a retard, too. On bass it works with most musical styles and you can still tell it's me (don't forget that you're married thanks to reggae grooves). But I'm mostly just Larry Graham and Jaco. Great way to crash any party.

On your characters: in these CD's you have many characters each of which could spawn it's own trademark, CD, persona, etc. Write a record for the Bayou guy, give him a name and dress him up. He's a bad I'm a retard. You can do some damage with this one! He's your redneck, dumbass guy, but you could intellectualize him too for even more giggles. He's got appeal to the masses. How about a song where he's telling you how his opinion on the Iraq war changed? (Feel the power)

Man, we sound really smart in here.

Thank you Cleveland!
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting because I've often thought of spinning off my voices and genres into separate entities. If my latest experiments result in me being more musically prolific, I may split into 2-3 beings. Like the Jerky Boys guy.

I meant Greg channels Zappa vocally! He's got almost the exact sonorities when he's not even trying. A sort-of deep yet nasal thing.

I think Greg's unique musical character shows up most when he's playing rhythm. Listen to the rhythm git on Let Me Think It Over. Although his spontaneous solos are unique to him as well. When he doesn't give a hoot the boy will blaze.

I AM in fact married because of YOU showing up on my mother's doorstep w/ a six-string bass and an invite to see your band at Headliner's. I forgive you! I thought you were pretty fabulous in a reggae setting...reggae is so oddly UNswinging, it's almost like ragtime...
GregBell
Site Admin

Location: A great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark getting into character is always such a SURPRISE to me. Personally, I don't have the guts or talent to do it vocally. It shocks the bejeezuz out of me when I'm tracking his vocal, and the chatter between punches is anything but that character! Chatter is crazy Mark. Punch-in and I've got the character dujour.

I don't have the mental discipline for that. It's one thing to do it with purpose and with skill, but that brings up an intersting tangent.

When you're playing or jamming, and then you enter "the zone", some kind of character appears that you may or may not be familiar with. I worked with a drummer who used to tape jamming rehearsals. The poor guy used to play me the tape over and over explaining EXACTLY when I was supposed to get the fever again and how it's supposed to go.

I actually tried to accomodate him a few times, and then I began to ascribe to the school of "anti-last-time", where I'll try something even I'm not expecting and see where it leads. It's 50/50 success, but way more interesting.

Commercially, I get so tired of actors who can only play themselves, like Mel Gibson. Why don't they try acting?

As far as character goes, maybe it can be traced back to chasing a vibe just like playing by candlelight, except inside a much greater structure!
bassnyerface
Beast Friend
Beast Friend

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have the guts or talent to do the 'get into character' thing? Quite the contrary: especially when you can't sing, a character will get you through. It takes more guts (balls [can I say that?]) than talent. Sometimes, for entertainment value, I'll talk a song like Johnny Cash or Zappa instead of sing it because my singing is questionable.

New subject: the lost art of the novelty song. Like "Boy Named Sue, "Ahab the Arab" (that one should resurface about now, the Arabs would dig it, in fact, it's tardy), "Convoy," "The Streak," "My Ding-a-ling"... remember all those? The music business is a lot different now than then, but what happened to the genre of the novelty song? I lament. Plus you don't have to be a real singer to get over with material like that! As long as you work it.

Let's not take ourselves too seriously.

I play in a band called The Torture Chamber. It's an adult beginners band, and you can be in it if you're an accomplished musician as long as you play something you can't play. I play bass flugelhorn in it. We have piano players on voilin, guitarists on clarinet, etc. and adults who have never played before sucking too. We sound awful. But we have fun. I call them a drinking band with a music problem. Dinner party every Monday, rehearsal every Thursday and a gig first Monday of every month. It's a hang and a hoot. I met my girlfriend there. She (doesn't) plays flute. We play 5th grade charts of everything from Ghost Riders in the Sky to Tiny Bubbles (I'm featured on that, just so you know). You should hear our 2001 Space Oddysey. Spike Jones couldn't do as well; we are the real thing. Authentically ugly. Of all the bands and "artists" I play with, The Torture Chamber is my favorite without a close second. Although they ain't paying no bills.

I try to take the spirit of the Torture Chamber to every gig. Let's play, have some fun. We're not artists, we're just I'm a retard around and having fun. My opinion: an artist is more artistic with that attitude. I'm a retard the headache of the bebop. I always have more fun playing in the dance hall rather than the concert hall. Come feel the noise.

Thank you Cleveland!
anyhorizon
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating post bass.

In a mildly similar vein, I sometimes listen to the crap I did when I was much, much younger and wasn't constrained by the knowledge of the rudiments of music that subsequently followed, am pleasantly surprised and find myself scratching my head and wondering, "how on earth did I arrive at that?". Sometimes, too much knowledge can kill the creative.

Peter
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyhorizon wrote:
Fascinating post bass.

...I sometimes listen to the crap I did when I was much, much younger...pleasantly surprised and find myself scratching my head and wondering, "how on earth did I arrive at that?".

Peter

Greg and I do that sometimes with the earliest version of our mixes!

Hey, I just want to thank Dave, I mean assbassadormustacheride, for insisting on genuine discussion of genuine music topics. He's showing us the way to be a real forum, even while setting off the cussword sprinklers.

Meanwhile, hey D*ve, what happened to that too young and bodacious girlfriend you had back in the Spunk/Hotel Muncie days? I just now remembered her. She was easy on the eyes, hard-on the priapism. I think she wore glasses.

GB, I swear I'll stop when all the teen fans start posting.
bassnyerface
Beast Friend
Beast Friend

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda Kreitzman. My first love. Yes, she was fine, but I didn't appreciate it at the time. She's working at Ball Hospital in the place where they die, married and is a step mom. Really quite a fine person.

I once made a list of all the loves in my past. I think I'm on #15 now, but she's all those others rolled up into one: smart, kind, loving, very feminine but a tough bird nonetheless and a freak in the sack. I about lost her to another man... her husband. They'd been separated for 2 years, he found out about me and wanted to reconcile for fear of divorce. He's playing the cheaper to keep 'er thing. I had to back off while they gave it a last ditch effort, and my waiting paid off. I wish it was as easy as just going to a friend's gig and finding my mate! Mark, you're not the only one, this has happened a lot, people meeting at my gigs, and I get left with Rosie Palm and her 5 sisters (if my cat's tongue wasn't so rough.....).

Yes, this a real forum where we can spew and try to show how smart we are. I'm actually in de-evolution. Been playing locally with these blues/fonk bands. In the 80's/90's when fonk was pretty lost, fonk found a home in the blues and is still there. St. Louis is a real blues town. I'm really a throwback, man. Got my 1972 ride, 1973 Fender Jazz Bass and an early 70's Kustom cabinet 18" folded horn cabinet (can you say tuck and roll?) that really pumps low end. I don't play TOO loudly, but at low volumes that cabinet fills a room with nut shaking bass all the way to the back door. I don't just go to a gig, I arrive with presence. It's fun.

Playing with Eddie and the cats on June 16 in Princeton NJ opening up for Rufus Reid quintet, outdoor concert. Rufus is a bass legend, wrote The Evolving Bassist, a staple jazz bass method book. I wish now I woulda' studied out of that book more. I thought about taking it with me to have him sign it, but it's a xerox bootleg... not cool. I'M A LITTLE INTIMIDATED! I'd much rather play Sly and Larry or Sly and Robbie. Give me the dance hall please. I wanna join your band.

F the headache of the BeBop.

Thank you Cleveland (Cleveland was good to me)!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: