SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index SoundChasm and Slim Volume
A forum for writing, recording and performance

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plagiarism or just good business?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregBell
Site Admin

Location: A great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She added scents of Yuma.

On the originality front, there is nothing new under the sun. There are new technical advances whereby the young generation takes the conventional wisdom of the last, breaks it, and creates something new, but I think that's inevitable as each generation defines itself (by rebelling), and as such, is hardly original. It's closer to the fact that everybody has to hear "Why did the chicken cross the road? for the first time sometime, whether it was told around a coal oil lamp or streamed onto your iPod. Every generation of girls gets a boy-band.

It's hard to NOT be original in some respects, because even when you're copying, you can't do it perfectly. Hence, it's a different product. My favorite thing is ripping on tribute bands because they miss stuff. They're hardly the original. When I'm proud of myself for learning a Hendrix lick, it comes to me that he did what I've been listening to for 30 years only once, and if I'd heard the take prior or after, they'd have no relationship to each other. Maybe he wasn't that thrilled with it either, and at my level it was genius, but at his, it was average because his big book of tricks was frickin' huge, and his playing ambitions were bigger.

I'd be completely comfortable with recycling if it were framed as a discipline like Haiku. If you dig and research a writer you can begin to hear the influences, and at worst, lose respect through familiarity, because after you know, it seems easy. I think what we're missing here is acknowledging that what we really like is being surprised by a skill level, like watching a guy juggle a chain saw, butcher's knife and a bowling ball. What about Bohnam's kick drum on "Good Times Bad Times"? You smiled, didn't you? Didn't expect it first time you heard it, did you? You still think it's cool because you can't do it.

I might try writing other than this massive specter of originality that sits behind me and goes "Boo!" all the time. At what point will I give up the mystical elements of originality and plow the dirt? Why did I get such miserable grades in college by thinking studying was cheating? I have a lot of misconceptions and I've lived long enough to address some of them.

Maybe I'm still thinking along technical lines and not as much feel (John Lee Hooker), but I can't sing like Muddy, but maybe I can play with some feeling. All in all, I respect my heroes because they have some combination of feeling and technical skill, and what they did was NEW TO ME! Laughing
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"everybody has to hear 'Why did the chicken cross the road?' for the first time sometime, whether it was told around a coal oil lamp or streamed onto your iPod."

OK, that's just fabulous writing, once again from GB. I wish Greg had started blogging at the beginning of blogging. He'd be influencing elections by now.

"She added scents of Yuma" was the original lyric, thanks Greg for outing it. Crying or Very sad It was an Eagles type of song. Make me kiss your turquoise jewelry!

"You express yourself walking across the room, not painting."
That's one of those artist sayings that the sayer doesn't actually believe but says it to puncture people who natter on about self-expression. I'd bet money Mr. Zornes believes we express ourselves equally when doing anything (like walking across a room, painting, or expressing breast milk). I bet he means self-aware self-expression is a low art...the marvelous stuff happens when (as Dan said) you get your self out of the way as much as enthusiasm allows.

"I think Art and Artist can only be defined by both time and impact." That's a tough one. How broadly influential an artist's art is...that's certainly determined by evidence of influence, which happens over a short or long period of time and is measurable. Whether an artist's art is "good"? To me, evidence of that could off-the-charts tiny but still proof. If no one heard my work but me and some trees falling in a forest, and yet the work changed me for the better, maybe it was worth doing.

I just don't want my love of making music to have a bad impact, and it's partly my fear of that which keeps me from making a big money deal out of it. 'Cuz I know me and I have, and could so easily again, go rotten -- and thankfully I didn't have big success in my youth ... yikes!

But I admit that part of why I'm trying to egg on this discussion on is that I'd love to hear a fresh perspective on making music and making money that might convince me to try doing both at once.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: