SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index SoundChasm and Slim Volume
A forum for writing, recording and performance

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How DO we get paid?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassnyerface
Beast Friend
Beast Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: How DO we get paid? Reply with quote

Any ideas?

As Ross Perot once said, "I'm all ears."
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, obviously! My guess is that as a primarily creative guy I'd have to suck it up and make it a business first, putting creative work second.

Some lucky people find business and creative work equally pleasant, or they even perceive the two as nearly the same thing. Or as two ends of a happy continuum. I'm none of those people, BUT! I do kind of enjoy the tiny amount of self-packaging and promo that I've been doing. Problem is I need to do 20 times the PR work I do, and I need to write 3 times as many songs. And gigs aren't possible, I don't think, so that's a drawback.

I just don't hold out much hope of making money at this, even tho I think the "product" is good enough, because I don't have the steam to sell myself. I hope I can get the ear of some people who would like to run w/ the songs and get themselves and me paid. But me being the performing writer just seems crazy unrealistic.

Now if Bass, Greg, and Sushi decided to find a hot girl or guy to front an alternative band playing SV songs, gigged like crazy, did all the other indie PR necessary -- that might work!
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also -- Dave, I think I know why you are hot about this. I've been there. Someone appears with a pretty-much finished product that seems very sell-able and it's just sitting there...it's very easy to get excited about making things happen for that product. I feel that way right now about my mom's work, about several friends' work. The real problem is usually the product's maker, their lack of faith in themselves and/or the product.

I feel very positive about my stuff when I get objective about the stuff. But when I get objective about myself I see some undeniable liabilities that the music business will not ignore.

Hence my idea of a band w/ a hot front person and either me drumming and singing backup or me as stay-at-home mom with the baby songs.

Here it comes:
WHERE'S GAYLE MCCORMICK???? I know she's old now, but I bet she's still hot, just like all of us are!!!!!! Wink
bassnyerface
Beast Friend
Beast Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm gonna make a copy of Sense of Humor and send it to Casandra Wilson. If you don't know who she is, find out right now Mr. Google. I think she would like that song, and I can call her on the phone. She's great and very successful.

Remember the film Vinnie and Leo? One brother an artist, the other an art dealer. Leo mentioned something about the business of art or the art of business.

Although I've mentioned I'd love to be a musical whore, I'm glad that hasn't happened yet. I still haven't compromised for commerce what I play in all these years. I still just play my arse off and if someone doesn't like it, it just means I'm with the wrong people. I have three businesses I run other than music, and I think I need to keep it that way so my income earning is dispassionate. Let the music biz be what it wants to be; I'm not doing too terribly, I'm playing all the time. I've now got four hot bassists sending me as a sub to gigs they can't do because they're too busy. Being the sub dude is great because the music and people are always different. And playing in Eddie's band is like heaven just not frequent enough. We can't find good management in the long term; that's our problem.

Mark and Greg starting a band I would love to be involved in, but that would be monumental in scope as the material is very demanding. It would be a lot of work, and we'd have to make it fun. And the promotional aspects, you're right, it's daunting. Just pour a bunch of money in a hole and hope it comes back out, that's what that's like. Been there.

But if we can get someone famous to do even one of our tunes, that's a start at making the cash register ring. And compared to starting a band and promoting, it's less of a time and money consuming operation. Sounds like a plan to me. Casandra... I'm gonna try Casandra.
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Cassandra Wilson is my idea of beyond. If you can call her, or mail her something...wowzer.
GregBell
Site Admin

Location: A great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I only know of one guy making royalties around here. When I met him, I wondered that something about him might be different, but mainly his perspective on things was completely different from anything I ever saw.

But he was a songwriter, and knew about collecting checks from ASCAP/BMI. Turns out this guy wrote civil war songs, and Disney and some other folks were using them.

Since neither my near-term nor long-term plans included civil war jam sessions, I concluded my research and went along my way.

HOW THE HECK DO YOU SELL CIVIL WAR SONGS Exclamation Exclamation Question Question
bassnyerface
Beast Friend
Beast Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when you call guys me Dave. Some of my new friends in St. Louis call me Dave too. I called Eddy last week and said "Eddie, Dave Certain," and he said, "Whoa, David, as long as I've known you, you've been David; since when did you become a Dave?" Dave is cool... as in "Dave's not here," from Cheech and Chong. I'm diggin' it.

Nuff O'Dat... How do you sell civil war songs? Answer: there is an audience for everything. I tell my students (when I have them) and other interested parties this story: even if you deficate on a plate, you can video tape it, get the sound just perfect, send it out, and if you work hard enough at getting your "product" out, you will get gigs deficating on a plate. Why? Because there is an audience for everything. And if what you really do is better than deficating on a plate but still not as good as the next guy, you still have to do the same work to promote your stuff just like the guy deficating on a plate does.

How about a joke: they did this study on professionals and their dogs. They put the doctor's dog, male dog, in a room of 20 female dogs and 20 lbs of dog food. The shared the food, romped around a little then all fell asleep. They then put the doctor's dog in the room; same thing: shared the food, played a little then slept. THEN they put the musician's male dog in there. He ate all the food by himself, didn't share any of it. He then had his way erotically with each of the female dogs one right after the other. And, when he was done, he asked, "Who do I see about getting paid for this crap?"
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've always been Dave to us Hoosiers! You've been away too long. Very Happy

You're right about the defecating. Unless your feces get a lucky break.

A band called Olabelle just did an album of Civil War songs. One of them is Levon Helm's daughter, btw.
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda sleepy 'round here so I'll gab for a minute. Hey Dave, and I do mean Dave. Smile ("'Open the pod bay doors, HAL!' 'I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.'")

Thank you for reminding me that there are other musicians besides poppers and indie poppers that might cover a Slim song. A jazz cover hadn't occurred to me. "Been This Way for Weeks" kinda leans that way, too. Hell, "Sense of Humor" would even suit Norah Jones.

I read in Modern Drummer of a popular session and road band drummer (I think he's with Tom Waits currently) who is building a storage unit complex so he can live off that and only take satisfying gigs.
anyhorizon
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get emails from Sonic Bids from time to time asking for songs that can be placed in movies or TV shows. The upfront license payment they offer isn't much (generally $500 - $600) but the back end could make up for it if the project were successful.

Here's their latest one. Could be worth a poke around their site.

I don't really know how I ended up on their mailing list but suspect it was when I downloaded Real Player.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: