SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index SoundChasm and Slim Volume
A forum for writing, recording and performance

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captain Archer is a Pussy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregBell
Site Admin

Location: A great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Captain Archer is a Pussy Reply with quote

I've caught a few episodes of Star Trek Enterprise, I and I gotta say that Archer is about the biggest wimp ever put into space. He leads with his chin, announcing his peaceful intentions to a clearly malevolent ship (can't he hear the ominous music? So he's deaf, too?), gets his ship smacked by alien ray guns and THEN polarizes the hull.

He would make for a good UN president, but his lack of aggression and suspicion make him a super easy mark for alien bullies. I've never disliked a Star Trek captain until now. I'd request a transfer if my boss kept getting shot at first and asked questions later.

No wonder they hired Kirk. Razz
SushiFugue
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, you mean we can rant about SciFi shows on this board too?

Enterprise never grabbed my attention, I think the peak of the series was The Next Generation, and to some degree Deep Space Nine. I didn't hate Voyager like many people seemed to.

Now, if you want some awesome, awesome scifi you need to go grab "Firefly" on DVD, it's a short, single season series but it was really fun. Cowboys in space. Also was followed by an equally amazing feature film, "Serenity," but make sure you watch the TV show first. For a little more serious, deep program go look at the recent adaptation of Battlestar Galactica, by far the best scifi program on television at this moment in time. They're in-between seasons right now, so you have time to go rent the DVDs or whatever and catch up before it's back on. Time well spent if you like that sort of thing.

What else can we talk about around here? I've got a cool story link about the mathematics behind the geometry of a Mobius Strip...
GregBell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll talk my wife into renting Firefly. I haven't seen BG yet, but I know people who watch it and think it's good. Again, when the wife goes in to settle her late fee, I'll ask her to pick it up.

One thing I have stumbled across is Farscape. It struck me as very funny with a real flavor of humanity when they can't figure out how to make alien technology work, and best of all, when they pick up a blaster and the battery is dead!! Twisted Evil

That's more like it.
anyhorizon
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregBell wrote:
One thing I have stumbled across is Farscape. It struck me as very funny with a real flavor of humanity when they can't figure out how to make alien technology work, and best of all, when they pick up a blaster and the battery is dead!! Twisted Evil

That's more like it.

I actually did some vocal sessions on a cuppla episodes of that way back. It was pretty bizarre. They were using a Mackie HUI with an early DAW and the guy running it had to have a wire strapped to his wrist and connected to ground for the faders to work. A bit haphazard. Matter of fact, I don't recall any of the sessions being actual pitched music. It was quite difficult. Weird show but obviously filled a niche.
GregBell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding Peter??!! Shocked Wow. That is cool and double cool. I just looked up the website and it's a Jim Henson deal which explains the puppet bit, I guess. It's campy, and the blue chick is cute.

Kudos to you for making the Sci Fi thread circle back to music. And they said it couldn't be done...
Slim Volume
Capable Of A Filibuster
Capable Of A Filibuster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlestar Galactica is awesome, and I hate that word. I say so having only watched a few episodes (I have no cable) and not much idea of what the plotlines were. It really impressed me.

I rented the Serenity movie and it was great! Had not seen Firefly.

I think I already raved to Greg about a near-to-last Enterprise episode where they not only go into a parallel universe but also time travel (2 cliches in 1 show!)-- and they steal a Captain Kirk-era ship. The "evil" crew change into the uniforms on board. To see them in 1960's gear powering up an exact Kirk-era bridge was a real thrill for a guy old enough to have seen the original series when it first aired. I liked Yoshi on Enterprise. The Vulcan lady was hot, of course, and that Trip guy had some personality.

Post that Moebius link, Sush; I like to read stuff I can't understand.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: