SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index SoundChasm and Slim Volume
A forum for writing, recording and performance

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tribute Band?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sysop
Beast Friend
Beast Friend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Tribute Band? Reply with quote

When is a tribute band not really a "tribute band"? When it's Zappa's son Dweezil putting together an incredible band of muscians including some of Zappa's original crew (Stevie Vai and Napoleon Murphy Brock) and going on tour! Wink

http://www.zappaplayszappa.com/

I had the unmitigated audacity of seeing their July 26th show in Columbus, Ohio at the LC Pavillion (a great venue by the way). Since I was only introduced to Zappa in the early 1990's after he had stopped touring and just before his untimely death in late 1993, this was the closest I'll ever get to a "Zappa concert".

Right after a long jam session on "The Illinois Ennema Bandit", Dweezil played the encore of the show with a large screen projecting video of his father behind him with only the vocals and guitar tracks audible backed up by the live band on stage. An absolutely amazing end to a superb show! I left having felt at least the spirit of Frank move across myself and the entire audience that night.

GregBell
Site Admin

Location: A great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sysop, you lucky dog!! If I wasn't out of town I'd have been there. There are lots of levels to the Zappa appreciation. The first is the Phi Zappa Crappa poster and thinking all those guys were high, but Zappa certainly wasn't. Then there's the incredible rock and roll and Zappa's guitar playing and the funny, funny material and incredible musicianship. Then there's his avante garde experimental stuff which I never could latch onto.

My hat's off to Dweezil for being able to survive in that environment. It might have been crazy. On his website I had listened to him play his Dad's guitar through his Dad's amp and it was a wave of relief to hear that familiar tone and the same unique style. I forgot how much I missed it.

I think Dweezil is every bit the guitarist his Dad was, and that's a darn good one, because I've never gotten a handle on FZ's notes, but I love them. I'd have loved to hear Dweezil's twists on the tunes, and if he snuck in any original material, but just being at the guitar fest would have been enough.

I know I saw Zappa once in Bloomington, IN with Steve Vai. He was as interested in conducting the band as he was in playing. He smoked and drank coffee, and gratified us with playing some of the "old stuff, for those who are into that kind of thing".

He OWNED his niche.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoundChasm and Slim Volume Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: